My 2010 Must List
Entertainment Weekly put out its 2010 Must List. All in all they captured 2010 pretty well. Their number one spot was given to 'The Social Network' - and I can't disagree too much with that.
But of course, given the fact it was a list and dealt with pop culture, it got me thinking about what my list would be. It's a lot harder than it sounds, but here goes:
1. 'The Walking Dead' + all AMC dramas. I have to spotlight 'The Walking Dead' - maybe the best TV experience in some time - but the fact is AMC can't miss. Points off for canceling 'Rubicon' after one season (a very good show) but how can I stay mad when they delivered maybe the best season of 'Mad Men' and another stellar year of 'Breaking Bad'?
2. The Social Network. Well written (Sorkin), well directed (Fincher) and well acted (entire cast), this movie blends current events, 'cool' factor and something we always crave - a damn good story.
3. Kanye West. His new album My Dark Beautiful Twisted Fantasy is definitely his best and might be one of the best, most complete albums of the past few years. I can't....stop....listening!
4. Stieg Larsson and 'The Girl...' With two daughters I don't have much time to read non-rhyming books but this year I finally started the Larsson series - and it does not disappoint. The story's payoff matches his stellar work building it and attention to detail as great characters enter our lives.
5. Inception. There hasn't been a movie so cool, so fun to NOT understand since The Usual Suspects. Killer effects, killer soundtrack with some great acting. So, does the top, stop? (I say yes.) Side note - Joseph Gordon-Levitt is awesome. If you haven't seen his work in Brick, please move this to the top of your queue. (But skip G.I. Joe.)
6. Angry Birds. This game is killing me. Seriously. I've never done crack but I'd have to imagine this is what addiction feels like.
7. Any band with 'Bells' in the title. My spring soundtrack was the March arrival of Broken Bells - amazing stuff - followed by summer soundtrack, Sleigh Bells. Good year to have 'Bells' in your name.
8. 'Dexter'. While 'The Walking Dead' is the best TV experience, 'Dexter' is by far the best show on television. Michael C. Hall can't miss (he shined in 'Six Feet Under' first) and the storylines keep trying to outdo the previous season's.
9. Palladia. It was New Years Day - the first day of 2010 - when I first discovered this incredible music channel. Videos in the morning and live shows the rest of the day - featuring some of the best bands playing the best venues as well as classic performances (The Band's final performance in 1978, for example).
10. Noomi Rapace - I feel bad for anyone who sees the US version of Lisbeth Salander first. Noomi Rapace played her in the three Swedish versions (really, really good) and she captures Larsson's depiction of one bad ass character perfectly.
So what would be on your list?
1/7/2011 9:02:02 AM Comment on My 2010 Must List